What is Baptism?
When a follower of Jesus is Baptised, they are completely immersed in a pool of water by one or two other followers of Jesus, all fully clothed! Why do we do this?
There are a few reasons...
1. Jesus did it! If we want to be like Jesus, that means we do the things He did. You can read the story here.
2. Jesus told us to do it! One of the last last things He told His followers to do was 'make disciples and baptize them' (Matthew 28:19)
3. It symbolizes a desire to start a new life - to be 'born again'. Going under the water symbolizes dying and when we come back up it's the first day of the rest of our life!
4. It reminds us that Jesus has washed us clean of our past mistakes and selfishness.
5. It shows everyone that we are not ashamed of what we believe! Baptism is a public act and we always encourage people to share their 'testimony' - the faith journey they've been on - when they get baptized.
Interested in finding out more? Why not contact firstname.lastname@example.org to ask about Baptism.